Published: 21 April 2014 The Military Benefits Podcast
In this week's Military Benefits Podcast, Military.com's Terry Howell returns to talk about the jump from military service to a civilian career, and how to construct a resume that best fits the companies and industries you're interested in.
- The age of the "one size fits all" resume is over; you need to create a resume that specifically targets the company or industry you want to pursue a civilian career in.
- Use military-to-veteran skills translators online to get better keywords and job descriptions for your resume.
- Use the Department of Labor's Occupational Handbook to research hot and important jobs for the next few years, and find the best jobs that fit your skills.
- Research companies you are interested in, and be prepared to talk confidently about what you can bring to the company.
- During a job interview, having a clear, targeted resume and good knowledge about the company you're applying to will be key to success.
- Be prepared for culture shock when you transition to a civilian environment.